I’m sitting in front of my computer early in the morning. It is January 1st. One room over my wife and child are still asleep. I wonder how long I’m going to have to write and hope I can get this finished before they wake up.
2018 is over and done with. I’m kind of glad to see it go. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t a bad year for me, but it also wasn’t a year where I felt I was making much progress. That feeling is especially strong when it comes to writing. Looking back over 2018, I don’t think I was as proactive as I could have been. There were certain things that were beyond my control in terms of producing content that kept me from getting work out there. But, I let those things get me down and just stopped working on new projects. At least until the end.
I don’t want that to happen again in 2019 and I’ve been thinking about what exactly it is I want to accomplish as a writer. I’m going for concrete goals rather than abstract ones. What does “write more” mean anyway?
So, here we go (in no particular order, but numbered to help me keep track:
- Update this site at least once a week. And I will try and see how long I can go daily.
- Get Sand, Sea and Stone (book 2 of Deadly Troubadours) widely available. This means getting the art finished.
- Update the Reading Deadly Troubadours podcast and finish books 1 & 2 of that series.
- Publish the novella version of Bloody Tokyo, season 1.
- Produce season 2 of Bloody Tokyo.
- Publish book 1 of a new series. (My current WiP with two chapters left in the rough draft.
- Finish the rough draft of book 2 of that series.
- Get 100 patrons on my Patreon.
I think those eight goals should be enough for now. There are a few other bonus goals I have, but those might take a bit more work from other people, so I do’t really want to make them my goals.
I hope I can accomplish this goals. Life has a huge curveball coming up in a few months, but more on that later.
Now, let me see what else I can accomplish while the rest of my family is asleep (and quiet.)
If you enjoyed this post, please like my Facebook author page and become a patron through Patreon. Or if you like podcasts and want to hear more of my thoughts on Japan, check out Living Japan. If you want to hear me talk superhero comics, listen to Brent & Lydia Talk Starman. And of course, follow me on Instagram and Twitter. Thanks!